Jan 1, 2010

Jessica's Quilt

I guess it's just the mom thing that when your daughters get married you think you need to make them a special quilt...at least that's how it was in my family.  Both of my grandmothers were always making quilts for granddaughters and grandsons.  My mom's continued that tradition.  We received quilts at Christmas, for birthdays, for showers and for wedding gifts.  Although I LOVE to piece quilts and I enjoy tying quilts; unlike my grandmas and mom, I don't particularly like to quilt.

Jessica got married on 8/8/8.  Her wedding was in our yard and we spent lots of time working outside in the yard, building a gazebo, etc. and I just was never able to get her quilt finished  before the big day.  Then it was time for school to start, and just when I thought I was going to be able to get it finished, my dad passed away.  This brought about a whole new schedule for us.  Our daily schedule now involved checking up on and helping my mom out, figuring things out for my dad's farm and trying to make sure all the little details were taken care of.  It's taken a lot more time than I ever dreamed it could.  But, gradually, I've been able to work on Jessica's quilt and just finished binding it yesterday.  (I was able to check off at least one of my 2009 goals!)

I just love how it turned out!  I had Matt's sister machine quilt it and she chose to do a paisley pattern in the stitching and I think it just ties the whole quilt all together.  Maybe this year I'll make something for Brent and me!  (Or maybe I should start one for Bailey and his future wife??)

No comments:

Post a Comment